Sunday, March 24, 2013

Feeling the Love

So since deciding that I am going to drastically change things, my life has sort of started to make more sense. Having a purpose, one that you are passionate about, it is like a new lease on life. Although mornings are still tough-waking up alone when you are used to hitting the snooze button for someone else is painful- my trip is fast approaching and I have so much to do to prepare!

I do have to say, since starting my fundraising and talking about my plans, I have never felt more loved by my friends and family! For a while I felt so isolated, so alone. We often put up our own walls without realizing it, and that is what I had been doing. Avoiding parties and dinners and events because I was too comfortable in my own world, and then thinking that I was being excluded on purpose. What could be further from the truth! I have had words of encouragement, donations, and just lots of love from everyone. It touches my heart and drives me even more. I want to make everyone proud!

Most of all, though, I want to make me proud. I don't want my life to be a waste. My older brother Tim, who is so generously donating plane tickets, said today "you don't have to go to [Tibet] to change your life". And my reply was "no, I think I really do". (He thought Kathmandu was in Tibet.)

I believe I am at a precipice in my life, and if I don't jump, I will never have the guts to follow any of my dreams. Instead of just getting up each day and going through the motions, I want to purposefully move and make positive change.

So thank you to everyone who is making this possible. Your money means so much and even the smallest amount makes a huge difference.  I have friends who are excited to tutor me in some basic teaching tricks, and I have already started learning some fun games and lessons that can be done with few resources. I have contacted previous volunteers to ask for advice as well, inquiring about what they brought with them, problems they had, anything they wish they had brought but didn't. Check out this blog, by Ken Lipson, an American who spends quite a bit of time travelling and volunteering. While in Nepal he was associated with Alliance Nepal, the organization I will be placed through in Pokhara. (I will be volunteering and living on my own when I return to Kathmandu!)

So that is all for this Sunday evening. I can't thank you all enough for your love and support.

Namaste

Laura

-My Go Fund Me page
-Koseli School

No comments:

Post a Comment