Thursday, May 30, 2013

An update from Bangkok

Namaste friends,

I am right now sitting in the Suvarnabhumi airport waiting for the final leg of my flights to Kathmandu. Oh glory I am exhausted. I left Saint John at 7:30 on Wednesday night, and will arrive in Nepal around 1am Atlantic time on Friday morning. Although it is already Friday morning here.

Everything has gone smoothly so far. Security hasn't been a problem, but I'm not smuggling anything and I am a polite, honest Canadian. Air Canada breakfast was pretty good, and the Thai Gardens meals (two meals and a snack on the overnight flight from London) were just absolutely amazing! Who knew airline food could taste so good!

One problem I have encountered is my non-ability to sleep when I need to. I've been up since Wednesday morning around 730AM. I slept about 30 minutes between Halifax and London, and maybe 2 1/2 hours (not in one spell but in short naps) on the flight from London to Bangkok. Now, I have another hour or so before my final connection leaves. That flight is supposed to be 2 hours long, then I have to find my baggage, pay for my tourist visa and find my contact from Alliance Nepal. Someone will be waiting at the airport holding a sign with my name on it. Just like the movies! Lol. After that I am putting myself in their hands- they will have somewhere for me to stay. I just hope I get to recover before they start giving me a tour or training! My brain can't handle much more.

Some memorable things I will expand on later:

Canadian travelers have been super friendly. Seems like when I'm in line and talking to a stranger of anglo descent, the chatty ones turn out to be Canadian! I also sat beside a really nice retired teacher from Sydney, NS on my way to London. She told me about her travel plans and was excited when she heard what my upcoming adventure entailed.

Thai Gardens is an amazing provider of air travel. The seats are super comfortable, even in economy. They fed us some of the most delicious foods I've ever had while traveling, and the best beef rendang I've ever tasted. The flight attendants are extremely polite and, well, attentive. And they kept the drinks flowing. I've only flown domestically before this flight, and there are no free drinks on those trips. This trip, all I had to do was ask. And even then, they came and offered throughout the trip. Not just alcoholic drinks, but snacks and water and cola too. The only thing that would make the flight better would have been if I had fallen asleep.

I am not good at sleeping in a non-flat, less than conventional place. I don't need a bed, I could sleep on the floor with no issues. But I could not fall asleep for any restorative amount of time on the planes. And not for lack of trying. I tried zopiclone, alcohol, gravol, and all I got was drowsy. No real sleep. Damn me!

The next 2 months are going to be a hot mess. Of humidity. I mean. I stepped out of the plane into the walkway connecting us to the airport and was hit by a wall of humidity. At 6AM, when I arrived, it was already 28 celsius. I couldn't find a humidex rating but I assume it was way up there. And this is the type of weather I can expect during MONSOON SEASON in Nepal. Yes, I chose to come during monsoon.

Anyway, thats all for now. I am going down to my gate and think I'll watch a video until boarding time. Thank you everyone for all your support, your messages and likes and comments on facebook make me feel less homesick. Keep it up!

Until my next internet connection!

2 comments:

  1. Humidex is only used in Canada. I can only imagine how hot it will get! I'm glad to hear that it is the Canadians that are being the friendliest, this doesn't surprise me! This has been my experience everywhere I go. You can also tell what part of the country a lot of them are from too - the further from the center of the country the friendlier they get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Nepalese I have met are incredibly nice too. And not to start controversy, but I think the further EAST you go in Canada, the nicer the people get. But then of course, I am biased...

      Delete