Thursday, May 16, 2013

Silence isn't a bad thing...

It has been a while since I have posted anything. I can make all kinds of excuses like I was busy getting ready to travel, busy working, busy taking care of our new kitten. I have been busy, but I don't want to make excuses. I should be better at updating in order to keep track of all the emotions I have about myself and my upcoming trip.

So no more excuses, I commit to not being lazy about my writing and creating posts more often. When I am away I want to write daily, even if I don't post immediately. I want to capture how I feel as I discover a new world, and hopefully, a newer, better me.

I mentioned work-I have been scheduled more than I was before. I am unsure if they are trying to be supportive and giving me more hours so I can save for the trip, or if it is just how hours and scheduling work. Whatever the reason, I appreciate the fact that I have been earning good cash to take with me. A relief, because some student loan issues have taken a bite out of my bank account! (Those guys can be complete jerks, and that is being polite.)

I have also been taking care of a new kitten. A few weeks ago I was going through the basement to my room when I heard some loud cries. Kitty cries. It didn't sound like my fatso cat Lebowski, a large, solid tabby cat. I worried it might be one of Mom's almost adult cats. It wasn't. Mom, Dad and I crowded around the tiny opening to the crawlspace under our dining room, only to see a tiny bundle of beige fur crawling around. Dad climbed in and grabbed the little beast, who was shivering and crying.

Immediately I was taking him over to our local pet store to find a bottle, some food and some advice. Everyone fell in love with him. He was so adorable. No, he IS so adorable. We found him some kitten formula and a bottle and I adopted him as my own.

 The day I found him...


But not for good. We already have 3 cats living with us, 2 of which HATE the 3rd and began hissing at the kitten as soon as they saw him. My dad, the one with a bit of common sense, put his foot down. Luckily, my older brother heard about our little discovery and offered to take him. This means I'll be able to visit my little man!

Because I competely fell in love with this beige kitty. Anyone who has known me for some time will remember my cat Trudeau, a wonderful, intelligent, loving beige cat who came to me when I needed someone to love and left way too soon. This kitten looks so much like him I started calling him Justin Trudeau, in a happy tribute.

I needed something to really give my love to, to focus on before I leave. My fat cat doesn't like as much overt attention. He likes to be petted and adored on his schedule, so it was fortuitous that I had this bundle of cuteness to take care of. Altho Lebowski adopted the kitten too.

 Fatso knows what it is like to be stray...

So I started feeding him, cleaning him, helping him poop (kittens need their mama's to make them go at first). Now he truly is my boy! He has been a surprising little thing, he started using the litter box on his own spontaneously, he has been growing non stop, and even likes dry kitty kibble! He dances around and plays and is the happiest kitten I have met.

And he loves to sleep on me. He is so adorable when he sleeps, but he chooses spots that mean I get stuck holding him while he does. Once he is sleeping deeply, tho, he pretty much stays whereever you put him down.

 He just flops wherever you lay him once he is asleep...

So thats most of what I've been doing, working, studying, preparing to teach and taking care of my little man. I am going to miss him, but when I return I'll still have my fat cat and I wil be able to drive to Moncton to see the (no longer an) orphan. And life is all about accepting the things that you cannot change. I just feel so lucky to have had him for the three weeks I did.

He has already grown up so much!




No comments:

Post a Comment