Friday, April 19, 2013

Hostel Shopping

Well, I lost my credit card, so I had to call my bank and have them cancel it and send me another. Which means I am prevented from booking my hostel accommodations. I am on my own to find somewhere to stay in Kathmandu. Alliance Nepal, an NGO based out of Pokhara will be handling my  arrival and roast 5 weeks, then I travel back to Kathmandu for the remaining 3 weeks at the Koseli school. I spend part of every day reading review after review of hostels in Kathmandu, and have a few requirements.

First is location. The school itself is in a part of Kathmandu called Tinkune, which has one affordable hostel. Only about 6 bucks Canadian a night. So I also have been spreading out, trying to stay within the Ring Road area (pretty much wraps around the centre of town and has a supposedly reliable transit system), without getting further than 5km away. A bus ride within 5km seems completely doable twice a day, and only costs about 20 cents each way. Even if I splurge a couple times, a taxi ride is only about 4 dollars CAD within this distance, so I can do it.

The second thing I am looking for is cleanliness. I don't expect Western standards, I can rough it. I just pay very close attention to what other guests have posted about beds (so scared of bedbugs) and the toilets. It is already going to be a culture shock, I would prefer to avoid hostels that reviewers specifically mention how disgusting the bathrooms are. I am avoiding a dorm room but sacrificing a private bath, so the state of the bathroom is very important.

The third is security. 3 weeks I will be assisting at Koseli, and I don't want to have to carry my netbook with me every day. So safety deposit boxes are a must. Also, I check for previous reviews from solo travellers, especially women, as to whether or not they felt safe.

So those are my main requirements as I search for my accomodations. I believe I will book by the week, instead of all three weeks at once. I mentioned there was be hostel in Tikune. It would be ideal, since it is only 5 minute WALK from Koseli, but one of the reviews mentioned the hstel was less than clean. Everywhere else I find that is affordable (read 10 dollars or less a night) are further away in the neighborhood of Thamel.

Thamel is the main tourist area in Kathmandu. It has so many hostels and guest houses and hotels, as well as restaurants, bars, shops, markets, trekking companies, etc. From Thamel you can plan your entire tour of Nepal. For me, Thamel means a transfer on the bus route, and a total of up to 45 minute travel. Not bad, sort of like how long it used to take me to bus to campus. But wouldn't you prefer to be 5 minutes from your main destination?

By booking by the week, I can "suffer" through the hostel in Tinkune should it be bad, and take Saturday to check out a couple hostels in Thamel. Should I be surprised and find the cheap and close hostel is actually great, I'll just extend my stay. Easy peasy. I hope.

I just can't do anything until the new card arrives. So I try to stay healthy, work hard, save my cash, and prepare. Only 40 days!

Namaste, friends.

Laura

Please, I know it gets annoying, but anytime you share my blog or my gofundme page, you help make a difference. Share often! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment