Monday, April 1, 2013

Responsible Volunteering

Having grown up involved in Brownies and Girl Guides, I was taught the idea of leaving no trace behind; when applied to traveling or hiking, it has to do with leaving no trace of yourself behind. I like this idea, but how do I go and volunteer in a foreign country without leaving some of me behind?

I don't just mean in a garbage or ecological sense; I am concerned with the cultural impact I will have as well. Partly in a desire to not impose western entertainment or commercialization as much as possible, partly to not add to the often fraudulent "voluntourism" industry. As I have done research I have found some unsettling things about many volunteer companies, not just in Nepal but throughout many African and Asian destinations.

I have done a lot of research and contacted people about their experiences with my volunteer organization, Alliance Nepal. I have gotten positive responses from people in the US and the UK, so I feel confident in choosing them. Unlike some volunteer organizations, Alliance Nepal doesn't charge exorbitant fees for a week or two of semi work- they do charge money but it goes to paying for your food and lodging, a donation to the project you are working at (to the library or health post or orphanage or monastery), plus a small amount for language training and travel around Nepal. Being able to see the breakdown of where the money goes makes me feel good about the organization too.

As does the contact, a man named Krishna. He lives in Pokhara, where the offices of Alliance Nepal are also located. Everyone says he is a happy, capable, trustworthy man who is dedicated to the improvement of Pokhara and the people of Nepal. Sounds great to me.

Unfortunately, this isn't the case of with all experiences. Due to the rise in popularity of overseas travel, coupled with a desire to make a difference, a new industry was born out of the previous backpackers/do gooders vacations: the voluntourism industry. You may have sat through a presentation at school as to why one or two weeks building schools of doing conservation is a great idea. And it can be. But it can also be more harmful than good.

Irresponsible volunteering organizations are designed to do one thing: take your money. Your motives may be irreproachable, but the organization just might not be. I have read stories of fake orphanages where children are brought from local families before the volunteers arrive; NGO's (non governmental organization) who funnel the cash and items donated to orphans and schools into their own pockets; even stories of volunteers who show up only to be dropped off in an isolated, rural community with no school, no students, and no training.

Being taken in by a shady organization is just one of the concerns with overseas volunteering. Another issue is whether the volunteers are actually needed. Building a school in a third world country is commendable, but if it takes jobs from the local workers who could be paid to build that school, then it effects the local economy and really doesn't help. (I am not saying all building or any type of volunteering is bad, just be aware of the impacts it may have- working alongside local craftsmen, learning from them and doing the unskilled jobs is a way responsible groups are able to positively impact rural areas.)

I had to ask myself, why do I want to do this? Will what I do make a real positive impact, or does it have hidden, negative impacts I just don't see right now? I know, and am honest about the fact that at its root, I am doing this for me. I am fulfilling a dream to visit a Buddhist monastery, I am on a journey of introspection and self discovery, and I want to feel good about giving something. I am not taking away from a local who would be teaching instead of me; I am attempting to teach English without using western icons from Disney, Pixar and other commercialized sources (I know, I know, most of that is worldwide anyway but still). The children at the Koseli school wouldn't get any education without the volunteers, so I feel comfortable with teaching there as well.  I can't see how this trip could negatively impact those I am visiting and wishing to serve.

The people of Nepal do not need clothing handouts, they do not need us to sweep in and hand them food or financial aid. Everything that I have read is that while they appreciate the help of English speaking volunteers for teaching and medical training, what they need is for is to stop giving children who beg candy and money. They need us to do our research when coming to offer our help, so we don't do more harm than good.

Each day as I prepare further, I worry that my choice to volunteer might have some negative impact. When I do worry, I start googling and researching until I have feel confident that the two organizations I will be assisting are reputable, are reliable, and really do make a positive difference in the lives of the Nepali people.

Namaste, friends.

Laura

Don't forget to share this blog and my gofundme page. You may know one person who has words of advice or who wants to support this trip. THANK YOU!





No comments:

Post a Comment