Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Am I teaching or wasting time?

It is now Tuesday evening, and I am well on the mend. Actually, this time, unlike last week when I thought I was getting better and then suddenly started vomiting again, forcing myself to a new doctor, multiple times, including an ultrasound. Everything checked out, I was diagnosed with a case of food poisoning leading to acute gastritis, followed by dehydration. Medicines and rest and liquids and food have begun to take effect and today, Tuesday morning, I was actually able to teach.

Sort of.

The weather here is crazy, always raining or close to raining or sunny with the heaviness of rain to come. I knew this would happen, as my summer break from school happens right during monsoon season here in Nepal. Why? Well, (I learned this to teach the class today) hot, moisture heavy air from the Bay of Bengal moves up over the humid country of India, and when it hits the cooler air of the Himylayas BOOM, rain and wind and monsoon.
Anyway, today in class we learned all about weather. For the second level students, I talked about atmosphere, the earth, and what causes thunder, lightening, tornados and hurricanes. They didn't care. It is maddening. I don't know what else to do. Should I keep trying to find interesting things to teach them, with pictures from the books I brought, or just give up and start with nouns, then verbs, then sentence structure and SNORE...

Luckily the first leve students are always more respectful. They watch when I talk and tell stories with eyes filled with interest. We talked about weather too, but I left out the atmosphere stuff. I thought it might be just a little too much.

Then came break, and boy, I was already feeling the strain. SO very tired. But after the monklets played for half an hour, came class with the kindergarten level. We read and looked at pictures about weather, then I wrote words for them to practice in the notebooks. It was the most successful K level I have taught yet.

But, it still doesnt feel like I am doing anything but wasting time with them. I LOVE to play with them, and when they run to me and throw their hands up yelling "Miss, Miss", giving me drawings or small items they found while playing. They are so much fun, but teaching? I am not cut out to teach children.

Which I know comes as a surprise to some of my friends. At work, I host the birthday parties with ease. I love doing it, helping to teach how to make a craft. Yet that is the difference, I think, it is a fun occasion, not serious.

Teaching adults is different. I enjoy my time working on english with the older monk. Helping him conjugate verbs and understand the small rules that make grammar so difficult for english learners. Yet adults wouldn't be there unless they wanted to learn, so they are invested in it. They don't need constant haranguing to sit down and pay attention.

Even teenagers are different. Teaching teens you can talk to them somewhat like adults, and the things I am used to teaching, or at least education about, is sexual education. Healthy sexual attitudes, safety, etc. It is something that grabs their attention and you can have a lot of fun making jokes about.

And so I feel so discouraged. So lost. I only have 3 days left this week, five days next week and two saturdays which are half days here at Pal Ewam. 9 total. Then I am off to Kathmandu for brand new adventures.

The school there I won't be teaching alone, but assisting the teachers during classes and then entertaining kids after school, exactly the kind of thing I am good at. Songs, games, crafts, that type of thing. Plus, I get to help the older teen girls learn about puberty and sex, so I am both nervous but excited about that opportunity.

As long as I can get through the next week and a half. Nine teaching days.

Do all my teacher friends feel like this? I have always respected my friends who are able to get up every day and work at educating our nation's children. I always knew it was hard, I used to prepare lessons for Sunday school and for church camp and whatnot. But this, this is more than I ever expected.

You have my undying devotion, teachers. You deserve the biggest salaries and best benefits.

Meanwhile, I am surviving.

Namaste

3 comments:

  1. hey laura,

    i have been keeping track of your blog when i find the time:) i am glad you are feeling better.
    I just want to give you a word of encouragement about teaching to kids. they might not seem to be taking in what you are teaching them, or you feel it is pointless, but there will be moments where all of a sudden they will relate something they are playing with to something you taught them. it's the same as when i try to teach my son the alphabet. he doesn't seem to be interested sometimes or unable to remember it, but then all of a sudden i hear him singing the alphabet when 'reading' a book. or he'll recognize a letter.
    you might not be there long enough to get those little rewards back, but there is definitely progress and they are definitely learning:)

    Keep up the good work! and enjoy your time at this school:)

    Rosanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Closing in on your first month, stay strong sis!

    Love,
    Drew

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt like that every day! :) Frustrating as it may seem, teaching is like this. But some "good news" - this means you're doing it right. Matter of fact, that feeling's a good sign - you care about your work and doing right by your kids.

    ReplyDelete