Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Do androids dream of homemade fuel cells?

So a funny thing happens when you are away from home in a completely foreign place for a long period of time. You start to dream of home cooking. At least, I start to dream of home cooking.
I get great food here, other than  the one bad restaurant that tried to assassinate me. Even Dal Bhat, plain old lentil soup with rice, is amazingly delicious. I have also had some of the best curries, no, actually THE best curries of my life. The chocolate ice cream I had one afternoon in Lakeside was maybe the most enjoyable chocolate ice cream I have ever had.

Yet the thought of food from Canada, both fast and made by hand, haunts me. Sometimes I am sleeping and having the  most peculiar dreams, and a main part will be a meal with friends. Or I will be reading from a book and the descriptions of edibles will have my mouth watering. So I thought you might enjoy the list that is growing in the back of my mind. Don't judge, we all have our guilty pleasures. Mine just happens to be fast food.

Sirloin Uncle burger and Onion Rings from A&W with mayo and icy cold Coca-Cola in a glass mug. I am pretty sure this will happen on the way home from the airport. Be warned, Mom!

Sapparo Ichiban ramen noodles-the ramen here are nothing to my childhood fave.

Pad Thai with chicken and extra tofu, extra extra tofu, from the Lemongrass restaurant on the boardwalk. I won't have to ask for no spice any more. The mild spice of the regular pad thai will be heaven!

Fish and Shrimps from Comeau's on the highway from St Stephen to Saint John. With lots of homemade tartar sauce.

A McDouble with Mac Sauce, fries and hot mustard mcnugget sauce from Mcdonalds. This is probably my second most shameful craving.

So much cheese. Cheddar, Mozza, Gouda, Aged Cheddar, Monteray Jack, Havarti, that yummy Boursin cheese with Pepper, Goat cheese with herbs. (I hope they have Boursin on the plane again!)

Along with the cheese, sausage. Salami, Polish Coil, Pepperoni, with crackers and grapes

STEAK. A tenderloin steak that I have grilled to perfection, served with my to die for sztaziki potato salad and fried onions. (Oh I want this now, NOW!)

Chef Boyardee. Seriously, why would I crave Chef Boyardee? Why wouldn't I want fresh made ravioli from one of the new italian places in SJ? But, no, I want the good ol' red can of chef boyardee. This would be my most embarrassing craving, I admit.

SUSHI. Sushi Sushi SUSHI! I big time want unlimited spicy crab hand rolls from Sense of Tokyo, but also want to try out a new place opening up owned by Enchan, who used to make magic at SoT before he moved on.

Bacon. Lots and lots of bacon. Bacon sandwiches, on toast with tomato, cheese and mayo, Bacon on Cesar salad, Bacon with soft boiled eggs and toast strips, and just strips of nice, crispy bacon.

Pancakes with NB Blueberries, sausages and maple syrup. I can't wait for this. I keep thinking about this, over and over. And most of all, I want to have this at about 2AM. Not for actual breakfast, but after drinking at the bar for a while, or some similar shenanigens. With runny fried eggs too. I love having breakfast for not breakfast.

And sandwiches. I want hot turkey, hot hamburg, pastrami, smoked meat on rye with pickles (OH MY GOD I WANT DILL PICKLES SO MUCH RIGHT NOW), turkey club, chicken breast with bacon and cheese on a kaiser from Jeremiah's in the SJ City Market, the insane sandwiches i make at home with things like avocado and smoked salmon (oh god I even want smoked salmon? What is wrong with me?) and alfalfa sprouts and more. I just can't stop thinking of sandwiches.

This must mean I am better, no longer sick and dreading the thought of eating or drinking. Even though there are many restaurants in Kathmandu that serve all manner of world cuisine, none of the cravings will be satisfied until I am actually on Canadian soil. I think the location is part of the nostalgic yearning in my mind.

Do you dream of food when you are away from the comforts and familiarities of home?

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you feeling so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I do! when I volunteered on the hospital ship they had milk that came in drinking boxes that didn't need to be kept cold,As soon as we arrived back in the US my friend and I went for a donut and a glass of milk at Krispy Crème best glass of milk I ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marianne, they have that type of milk here too. I can't wait to get home and have a cold glass of Northumberland CHOCOLATE milk!

    ReplyDelete