Monday, June 3, 2013

Not a Monastery, but a Monastic School

So due to the fact that I am female, I am not permitted to stay at the monastery itself. So instead, I am teaching monklets at the Pal Ewam Monastic school, which is affiliated with the Namgyl Monastery.

On Monday morning, I dragged my heavy luggage (what was I thinking?) down the hostel steps to wait find Krishna and our taxi driver waiting. We loaded my things in and set off for the school. Now keep in mind that at this point, I really had no idea where I was going; I had just told Krishna I was interested in teaching Monks and he said "OK", I left everything else in his hands.

The road, again, was winding and narrow and part dirt, part rock, part road. It was about a 15 minute drive from Lakeside, past some very basic structures used as homes and little stores.

That is one thing I noticed here. Almost every two or three buildings is a small shack selling chips, pop, water, and other roadside necessities. How everyone stays in business puzzled me at first, then I realized it was nothing like at home. They didn't pay rent, they just set up shop on their own property. They sold non perishable items, so their stock never went off and they could sell it pretty much forever. Life is so different!

We pulled up to a walled in 'complex', i guess you could call it. It was a U shaped building with two floors, a stone wall and a bright blue gate. Once we were admitted, the head monk and the principal of the school came to meet me. Krishna and the taxi driver said their goodbye, saying they would be back on Saturday to visit and take me to Pokhara to enjoy my days off. (The school has Saturday and Sunday off, instead of just the traditional one day Saturday weekend.)

I wasn't allowed to carry my bags upstairs, they were ported up for me by some of the other teachers (all male!). Instead, I was invited to sit down and enjoy a cup of tea.

Tea. I never was a tea drinker. Coffee, yes. Coke, Hell yes! Tea, not so much, unless it is iced tea with lots of sugar, ice and lemon. But when in Rome- or in this case, Sarangkot, do as the monks do. And they drink tea. The morning was already hot and the tea was steaming, but I was surprised at how very good it was. Black tea, it was a little fruity but also had this taste that I can't quite describe- I guess it is tea flavour. I drink green tea with my sushi but now I think at home I will be a black tea drinker as well.

As we sipped our tea, I was given my class schedule. I have 6 classes a day, 40 minutes each. Strangely, the head monk told me I didn't need to show up for all of them. Peculiar, in my opinion, but it is nice to have the option on days I feel less than healthy. Which, sadly, I have been struggling with. But more on that another time. No need to dwell on what you cannot change, and when I get sick I can only deal, not change it.

Classes start at 9AM. I teach level 2, then level 1. After a break for the children, I then teach kindergarten. Then comes lunch and a nap time for the monklets (and I must say myself as well), followed by a class for the 3rd and 4th levels, back to the kindergarten, then a tea break and finally class 2 again.

Along with this, the children have other teachers who instruct them in English, Tibetan, Nepali, Social studies and Science. I have quite a bit of freedom in what I can do with them.

It was only 8AM when I was shown to my room, and was told I would have free time until 9. So I unpacked some things, gathered up everything I brought that had to do with Canada, rested. (I am amazed at how very tired I get here. So quickly too. Must be the altitude or heat. Or both.) Soon the bell rang for 9AM, and as I walked to the first classroom I was met with lines of children in their yellow and red robes, reciting morning prayers with their instructors. Then it was class time.

Like the first day of any new teacher, they were loud and rambunctious and yet, still charming. First the 2nd level listened as I showed them on the blow up globe I brought where I was from, where Nepal was. I then showed them pictures and post cards from home, money from home, and read a story about the Canadian flag. Then all they wanted to do was throw the globe around. Good thing it is sturdy like a beach ball!

The bell rang but I didn't realize that meant move to the next class. One of the teachers came and instructed me where I should be! I then did the same thing with the next class, this time I gave them paper and pencil crayons and had them draw pictures of the Canadian flag and the Nepali flag. All 7 children in level 2 drew me pictures and signed their names.

After break, I did a similar thing with the kindergarten class. They were quiet and focused as I read them a story, and then when it came time to draw, they went nuts! They loved it! We had a great time together until the bell rang.

The bell that signifies lunch.

Oh intimidating bowl of rice and lentils, how will I face you day after day? It isn't that it is bad. Far from it. It is absolutely delicious. And so healthy, unprocessed and non-upsetting to my former persnickety digestive tract. The only problem is THERE IS SO MUCH FOOD. And not finishing is very rude, wasting something that is precious to the people here. I wish I knew how to say 'please, less food', but I just don't know how.

Maybe I can sit with one of the monks and explain I can only eat so much each day without getting sick. have breakfast and supper but skip lunch. I dunno, we'll see. At least after stuffing myself I had extra time to lay down in my room.

Speaking of my room, it is pretty posh. When I signed up I thought I might end up in a homestay with no electricity, no internet and no western toilet. WRONG! I have a comfy bed, a private bathroom with shower and western toilet, electricity and wifi. And one of the teachers even brought me a room fan. Luxury!

I set my alarm to wake me 10 minutes before class was to begin again. After freshening up, the bell rang and it was time for level 3&4. They are combined because there are so few students at that level right now. (Many of the upper levels are up at the monastery receiving instruction, which is why I have double classes each day.) After talking about Canada and letting them draw we went through some 'fun fact' books. After discussing the pictures, I noticed one of the boys had a Mulan book in his pack. I offered to go through it with them, surprised to hear they had seen the movie. Apparently, they do watch some movies here. They even know who Ben 10 is! All my worry about corrupting them with western culture is for naught. Oh well.

Then I was back with the adorable kindergarten class. I had brought a book called "I see the sun in Nepal" which is about a little girl living in a village in west Nepal. We read the book and discussed each picture, then it was time to draw again! I realize now what I should have brought was more paper! This school is very supply-poor. Hopefully I can find something in Pokhara when I go on my days off.

After 5th "period" came another tea break and children running toward me asking for the ball. I laughed and ran up to my room to grab the globe, throwing it off the second floor to the little ones below. They loved it.

I realized that boys act the same no matter where they are from. They would start throwing the giant blow up ball (sort of like a beach ball) but it would quickly descend into chaos as they grabbed each other and chase each other for control. Laughs and squeals and yelps could be heard, but all in all they had so much fun.

Then came one more class with the level 2 kids, and the bell rang to call them all to practice. I went back to my room to escape some of the midday heat until the children finished their hour of Dharma recitation practice. Then they wanted the ball again. If I had known such a simple thing would have brought so much pleasure, I might gave brought 2!

While they played, I sat in the shaded eating area set aside for the teachers and monks and wrote in my journal, then read through a book trying to come up with plans for lessons the next day. I was tired, and it was only 6 oclock! As supper approached, I was unsure how I would eat any more; I was still so stuffed from lunch. I asked to speak to the head monk and explained I was feeling exhausted and was hoping to skip supper tonight; he looked concerned but I assured him I was ok, just feeling slightly under the weather and didn't really have an appetite. He nodded and I thanked him, telling him I didn't want to cause any offense but he smiled and said goodnight.

And I went upstairs and showered. Cold, wonderful shower. So refreshing, that when the warm water started, I turned it off and the cold up. I swear the cold showers are what is allowing me to survive here!

Climbing onto my bed I started reading some more ideas for class the next day, then I turned everything off and went to bed. At like, 930pm. I can't believe how tired I get! I was asleep by 10, waking up at 230 after a horrible nightmare (I don't want to get into it, but I was shaking and almost crying when I awoke in the dark.) I read for an hour, then fell back asleep until 530AM, when the school comes to life.

Everything is so very different here.

I haven't taken any pictures of the school or the monks, but will be asking if it is okay today. I want  to get pictures of the monklets playing, and hopefully of them in class as well. They are charming and loveable and have stolen my heart already.

Time to get going to first class. Namaste, friends,

Laura.




1 comment:

  1. The combination of altitude and heat would be very draining. I used to have the same problem when I first attended BYU, although the heat was dry here so not such a problem. But the altitude really got me. But after about 2 weeks I'd adjust. So be patient, and hopefully you'll feel better soon :) The monklets sound adorable!

    ReplyDelete